Windows XP Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Turn the NumLock Feature
Every time I bootup my laptop, the NumLock
indicator is ON. Is there any way I can make Windows bootup with this feature
Yes, you can make a simple registry tweak that will configure Windows to boot
your system with the NumLock feature OFF. Here's how:
- Go to Start>> Run. Type in: regedit [Enter]
or click OK.
- Navigate to the following registry key:
- Click the "keyboard" entry once to empty
its contents into the right pane.
- Find a string entry titled "InitialKeyboardIndicators".
- Double click this entry and change the
Value to either '0' for off, or '2' for on.
- Exit the Registry Editor and reboot your
system for the changes to take effect.
Warning: Be sure to make a backup copy of
your registry prior to making any changes. One wrong move in the Registry Editor
can cause serious problems.