This is usually caused by connecting to your ISP while the Search Companion is open. This problem is found in the Windows XP English language versions only.
Reinstall the Search Companion Files:
- Log on to the computer by using an account with administrator permissions.
- Click Start>> Run. Type in: %systemroot%\inf
- Scroll the resulting list and locate the Srchasst.inf file.
If it doesn't seem to be listed, try adjusting your folder options to view
hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer:
Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>> View tab.
- Tick the "Show hidden
files and folders" entry.
- Apply the change and exit
- Right-click the Srchasst.inf file, and then click Install. Windows will now attempt to install the Search Companion files.
Note: You may be prompted for the Windows XP CD to complete the installation so please have it ready.
If this continues to occur after disconnecting from the Internet, it may be caused by corrupted files that have been cached. I have the three possible files that may be causing this listed below. Open them in notepad so that you can determine the source of the corruption.