How to save Outlook
Express e-mail messages for easy PC to PC transfer.
By: John Morales
5 Star Support
In order to Backup e-mail messages from Outlook Express, follow the instructions
- Click on the “TOOLS” tab and select
- Click the “MAINTENANCE” Tab.
- There you will Click the “STORE FOLDER”
- Then you will highlight the Folder Location
which is something like: C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Application
- Right click and Select Copy or press (CTRL+C)
to copy the location of the folder.
- Click the Cancel button and Cancel again to
close ALL boxes.
- Now you’re going to Click START > Select
Run and position the curser on the open box. Right click and PASTE or press
(CTRL+V) to paste the e-mail location and click OK.
- Now, you have a Window containing your
e-mail database. ( E-mails are saved in .dbx file format).
- Click EDIT and SELECT ALL. Click EDIT again
and Select COPY and close the Window.
- Click Start >All programs >Accessories> and
Select Windows Explorer to open the Windows Explorer Window.
- On the top of the page click FILE >Select
NEW> Select FOLDER.
- A highlighted new folder will appear on the
right hand side (New Folder). You can rename that folder. Type the name of
the new folder and press ENTER on your keyboard.
- Open that Folder by Double clicking it. On
top of the page Click the EDIT menu and Select PASTE and close the Window.
- You now have your email messages saved
(Backed up). You can write them to a CD-RW to transfer them to another pc.
- Open Windows Explorer and make a new folder
on your hard disk. Once that is done, you can then begin to copy the files
from the CD-RW to the New Folder.
- Close all open Windows and Open Outlook
Express>Select File> Import> Messages> Microsoft Outlook Express Version(5
or 6) and Click Next.
- Select “IMPORT MAIL FROM OE (5 or 6
depending on your version) STORE DIRECTORY”. And Click OK.
- Browse to the previously created folder and
Click Next. Now, you can proceed to copy the files from the CD-RW to the
- Open Windows Explorer > Open the previously
copied files folder > Select all files.
- Select Files> Properties.
- Click the box that will open and make sure
the Read Only is without a check mark.
- Click OK and open Outlook Express . Import